CEO Chat #36
Happy new year!
Welcome to 2024 and more of my musings. It is pleasing to know that many people read these updates, helping keep people connected. You can also find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and most recently we have joined TikTok. Some people on the team are really eager in developing our social media presence, especially TikTok, so please like and follow CumbriaDeaf1893.
A brief reflection on 2023, it was a year that saw us steadily building our presence and offering in the community with the opening of a hub in Carlisle and addition of Nicola as a full time interpreter. We had planned to have a hub opened in West Cumbria by the end of October but the banking issue with Barclays put paid to that. In spite of all the hassle and upset, there was a great Christmas party in Carlisle with lots of people, friends and families and 7 of our staff team – see picture of the staff along with Suzie the student who finished her placement at a party.
Enough of the past, this is now time to look forward;
- Rebecaa and I will be out office hunting in West Cumbria very soon so she will have a base to hold coffee mornings, training and a place for our expanding support work team
- Shelley has been out to meet all our existing support work clients and has met with new clients
- We’re actively recruiting bank support work staff to cover the increasing need in the community
- The training team will soon be announcing dates for open courses in Deaf Awareness and Introduction to Sign Language
- Our community engagement team will be getting out and about to a range of events, everything from football matches to school engagement
- We’ll be looking at ways to further support our adoption of Age-Friendly and Disability Confident schemes
- We are planning a series of special events to mark our 130th anniversary, so keep an eye on events pages (website and Facebook)
- In an effort to reduce mileage the interpreter team are still asking for jet packs – apparently that would be quicker than driving around the county!
There’s so much more but for now we’ll keep that secret.